Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Christmas is All Around

Shockingly hard to believe that Christmas is coming up so soon. I was surprised to see a ton of people shopping for Holiday decor this weekend. The Home Goods store near my house had a long line and, of course, every surface was draped in Christmas swag.

I only needed a dog sweater. My poor old man of a dog, has been shivering late at night, in the mornings, and pretty much all the time. So I tromped off to the store to help out the poor beast. They had many, many coats and sweaters. The problem was that they were so silly that I had a hard time finding one that wouldn't make both me and the dog look foolish. A fur lined, parka, really? Does a dog even need a scarf with matching booties? Huh?

I finally found a simple, sweater, sort-of-rug thing, that wraps around the dog. It is a lovely glen plaid, and suits the dog to a T! He has been wearing it 24-7 and seems a much happier pup.
Blurry cuz he won't stop moving!
So my point, and I do have one, is that I was looking at the simple construction of the coat and thought it would make a good gift item. Then I remembered (it could also have been the Christmas Caroles) that if I was going to make anything for holiday gifts I'd better get started! If you're anything like me, you haven't started either. So what shall we make? Any suggestions? What would you like to learn how to do?

Leave a comment. Lemme know!

Jen

3 comments:

  1. I've received a formal request to make a new advent calendar. Do you have any suggestions? Our former one was christmas fabric hot glued onto red felt (yes, it did look THAT cheap).
    Alternately - I'm trying my hand at knitting slippers. Are there any simple, cheap equivalents that can be mastered with a sewing machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slippers are so easy to make, because all you have to do is trace around your foot for a pattern. I have a pattern I purchased from Ithinksew.com that is adorable.

      Delete
  2. I'm crocheting throws for my mom, Trav's mom and his grandma. I haven't started. It will be lots of fun, I'm sure... Are you good with crocheting or knitting?

    ReplyDelete