Monday, September 17, 2012

A, you're adorable. B, you love Batman..


Here it is!! My first blogged project. I bought my very first serger and it arrived on Thursday night. I spent the weekend making Batman pants (who didn't?). My cousin has 3 little boys and I jumped at the chance to do my first project for them. Of course the pants hopped the line in front of a lot of other projects, but sergers gotta serge!

I purchased a Brother 1034D from Amazon. Less than $200 and free shipping. It got terrific reviews online and so far I love it!!! Threading is a bit fiddly, but NOT the nightmare I expected. It's working just wonderfully so far. 

A few tips: 

Have lots of fabric scraps handy for practice. It take a little bit of practice to get the feel of how to guide the fabric and just how it all works. 

Buy extra needles. The Brother uses standard needles so I have plenty on hand. I broke the first two, the first night (this goes back to practicing how to guide the fabric). 


Read the manual. It really does tell you how to use the machine, and if you've never used an overlock before, you're going to learn a few things. 

This machine came threaded with color-coded thread (so cool and helpful), but have your new thread handy, because it doesn't last very long!

After a bit of practice, I made these lovely pants! Three pairs for three little boys. I just hope they fit. They are made from your standard pajama pants patterns, that you can find all over the internet. I used the tutorial on "The Mother Huddle" blog. Lounge Pants Tutorial 


One last bit of advice. If you go so far as to make a pair of Batman pants, post it on Facebook so everyone can tell you how awesome you are. 

Disclaimer: Persons writing this blog may or may not post projects on Facebook in order to receive attention from friends and relations.

~Jen

3 comments:

  1. I wish I had a serger now. You make this project seem so easy. Also -- batman pyjamas are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR? They are still easy to make, even without a serger. Shall we learn the french seam?

      Delete
    2. I like learning! I think for Christmas we're getting our sewing machines serviced so give me a month or so before I can join in. I do not sew by hand if I can help it (who does!?)

      Delete